It is an impossibility to separate government from God,
And in fact, Psalm 22:28 "For the kingdom is the Lord's: and He is the governor among the nations."
Also we see in Jer. 18:6-10 "O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the Lord. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in Mine hand, O house of Israel. At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it; If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them. And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it; If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them."
We also see in Psalm 33:12 "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom He hath chosen for His own inheritance."
Psalm 9:17 "The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God."
There are several principles that make a nation great, and there are things that lead to the demise of great nations.
I point here to Sodon and Gomorrah, cities that were so wicked that God destroyed them with fire and brimstone from heaven.
Genesis 19:24 "Then the Lord rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven;"
Matthew 11:23-24 "And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee."
My wife and I visited the ruins of Capernaum in 1981.
We also went to the Dead Sea. It is no mere coincidence that the Dead Sea is situated at the lowest point on land on earth at 1388 below sea level. It is also called "The Sea of Death," and ironically, "The sea of Lot."
It is as well no mere coincidence that Sodom and Gomorrah are in the area of The Dead Sea. The Bible plainly tells us God destroyed these cities with "fire and brimstone" because of their sins of immorality.
Now I would like to give some principles of a nation that God will prosper.
1. Dignity of life. Genesis 4:9-11 "And the Lord said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper? And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground. And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;" Genesis 9:5-6 "And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man. Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man."
Proverbs 6:16-17 "These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,". What blood could be more innocent than an unborn baby?
2. Monogamous family. Gen. 2:Genesis 2:23-24 "And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."
3. Common decency. Gen. 3:21 "Unto Adam also and to his wife did the Lord God make coats of skins, and clothed them."
4. Friend of Israel. Genesis 12:1-3 "Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed." Zechariah 2:8 "For thus saith the Lord of hosts; After the glory hath he sent me unto the nations which spoiled you: for he that toucheth you toucheth the apple of his eye."
5. Bible centered education. Deuteronomy 6:4-9 "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates." Early education in America was Christian education, and in fact, the King Janes Bible was used to teach reading!! IMAGINE THAT! CHILDREN BEING SUBJECTED TO THE BIBLE DAY AFTER DAY!
"The religious and moral education of youth was paramount in early American schools. The first book in the classroom was the Bible. It was central to a child’s education, not only for its content, but the way it was used to build skills. Students learned how to read using the Bible. Much of the school day was devoted to memorizing and reciting passages from it, and passages were copied to learn penmanship." (Copied from The Roundtable.)
6. Work ethic. 2 Thessalonians 3:8-12 "Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you: Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us. For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies. Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread."
Proverbs 20:4 "The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing."
Proverbs 6:6-11 "Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest. How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep? Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man."
7. Divinely established home, Church and state. God has established the home, the Church, and the state, or earthly governments, and when these three harmonize with the Bible in their functions, there is an establishment of righteousness that God is able to bless.
Proverbs 16:12 "It is an abomination to kings to commit wickedness: for the throne is established by righteousness."
Matthew 16:18 "And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."
Ephesians 6:1-4 "Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise; That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth. And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."
Ephesians 5:21-33 "Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God. Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the Saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That He might present it to Himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: For we are members of His body, of His flesh, and of His bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband."
Now the sad truth is, we have violated all these principles in our land, and because of that, God will deal with us as He has other nations in times past.
Psalm 11:3-7 "If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do? The Lord is in His holy temple, the Lord's throne is in heaven: His eyes behold, His eyelids try, the children of men. The Lord trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence His soul hateth. Upon the wicked He shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup. For the righteous Lord loveth righteousness; His countenance doth behold the upright."
We are Spiritually ruined.
We are socially ruined.
We are morally ruined,
We are educationally ruined.
We are economically ruined.
Unless we have a revival of the things that made us great, we will experience the same fate as those whose path we have followed.
Psalm 9:17 "The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God."