My thought is on avoiding an empty life. Please read Eccl. 4:1-16
The word “vexation” appears 10 times in Eccl., “vain” appears 1 time, and “vanity” or “vanities” 43 times. Chapter 1:2 states, “Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher, vanity or vanities, all is vanity.”
Vanity means “emptiness” and vexation means “grasping after” or “desire.”
Here in the book of Eccl. The Preacher,
1. Filled his head with knowledge, but it wasn’t enough 1:13-18
2. Filled his heart with pleasure, but it wasn’t enough 2:1-11
3. Filled his hands with things, but it wasn’t enough 2:4-9
4. Filled his habits with time, but it wasn’t enough 3:3-14
There are some things that make life full and worthwhile and some that make it empty and worthless.
I give here some things that make life full and meaningful.
1. A Comforter. In chapter 4, two times we see “they had no comforter.”
It is a sad life without the Comforter of God spoken of in John 14:16-18, 26-27 and chapter 15:26-27 where true Christians are indwelt with the Holy Spirit.
2. A Common purpose. Eccl. 4:4-8; Eph. 4:12-16. Life has little meaning when it is only about the here and the now. “If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men MOST MISERABLE.” 1 Cor. 15:19. Man is created with eternal purpose and the person that doesn’t find that purpose is a miserable person in the end.
3. Companions. We have companions to help. We are not in this life alone, in fact, God said it is not good that the man should be alone. God did not create us to be alone. Eccl. 4:8-12. God ordained men and women to have a mate. God ordained the Church to be made up of Brothers and Sisters in Christ for fellowship and for the fruit of the Gospel. 1 Cor. 12. Prov. 27:17, “Iron sharpeneeth Iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.”
4. A calling and a gifting. God has a calling for every individual in life, and though some may never find it, it is nevertheless a fact. 1 Cor. 12. An empty Christian either has not found or has not used the gifts God has given. Every Saved person on earth has a gift or gifts that God intends to be used for the Glory of God and for the Cause of Christ. See Eph. 2:19-22 and 1 Cor. 12:11,22
5. A common enemy. It is impossible to have a full life if it is filled with defeat. Satan, the enemy of God and man wants us to be empty of God’s blessing and if he can keep us under the judgment of God, he can rob us of the fullness of God’s blessings. Eph. 6:10-18. We have to win the battles in order to have the blessings.
6. We have a common conclusion…Heaven! Everything about us points to heaven. This world is not our home, and if this life is all we have, we are empty and life if vain. 2 Cor. 4:17-18; Col. 3:1-3
How do we avoid an empty life?
1. Know God’s presence in you life.
2. Find God’s purpose for your life.
3. Stay close to Spiritual partners in life.
4. Prepare to be used by God in this life.
5. Plan to leave for Home in the will of God.
May I ask these questions:
1. Are you truly saved?
2. Are you faithfully serving God with your life?
3. Does you life have meaning for the future?
4. Are you ready to meet God like you are?