Standing in your place
Apr 16, 2017
The Resurrection was required for eternal life
Apr 16, 2017
The greatest victory in life is the victory over self
Article delayed by the death of my 90 year old aunt in Valdosta, Georgia. Aunt Mary Bonner was a sweet Christian lady, sister of my mother Nadi Rentz Humphries. Aunt Mary was a widow for 33 years.
I have listed a number of the verses dealing with the subject of widows in the Bible. The most often repeated subject concerning widows is the treatment or mistreatment of them. God commands the blessing of widows in many of the verses I reference below. He also places a curse on those who mistreat or misuse widows. De 27:19 "Cursed be he that perverteth the judgment of the stranger, fatherless, and widow. And all the people shall say, Amen." God also tells us that He is a “Judge of the widows” meaning that He will take up their cause and judge those who misuse or abuse them. Ps 68:5 “A father of the fatherless, and a judge of the widows.”
In regard to the Church and its responsibility to widows, we are told that there are guidelines to their care. According to 1 Tim. 5:4-16, a widow is not the responsibility of the Church if she is under 60 years old. She must have only been married one time and if she has children or nephews, they are to take care of her needs. She is also to be a faithful saint of God with good works. The word “relieve” in the text means help or serve. Also In Acts 6:1, the issue was the “daily ministration” which meant relief or service.
Then 1 Tim. 5:9,11, the widows under the age of 60 are not the responsibility of the Church.
- De 10:18 "He doth execute the judgment of the fatherless and widow, and loveth the stranger, in giving him food and raiment."
- De 24:17 "Thou shalt not pervert the judgment of the stranger, nor of the fatherless; nor take a widow's raiment to pledge:"
- De 24:19 "When thou cuttest down thine harvest in thy field, and hast forgot a sheaf in the field, thou shalt not go again to fetch it: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow: that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hands."
- De 24:20 "When thou beatest thine olive tree, thou shalt not go over the boughs again: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow."
- De 24:21 "When thou gatherest the grapes of thy vineyard, thou shalt not glean it afterward: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow."
- De 26:12 "When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled;"
- De 26:13 "Then thou shalt say before the LORD thy God, I have brought away the hallowed things out of mine house, and also have given them unto the Levite, and unto the stranger, to the fatherless, and to the widow, according to all thy commandments which thou hast commanded me: I have not transgressed thy commandments, neither have I forgotten them:"
- De 27:19 "Cursed be he that perverteth the judgment of the stranger, fatherless, and widow. And all the people shall say, Amen. " Ps 146:9 "The LORD preserveth the strangers; he relieveth the fatherless and widow: but the way of the wicked he turneth upside down."
- Pr 15:25 "The LORD will destroy the house of the proud: but he will establish the border of the widow."
- Isa 1:17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow."
- Jer 22:3 "Thus saith the LORD; Execute ye judgment and righteousness, and deliver the spoiled out of the hand of the oppressor: and do no wrong, do no violence to the stranger, the fatherless, nor the widow, neither shed innocent blood in this place."
- 1Ti 5:4 "But if any widow have children or nephews, let them learn first to shew piety at home, and to requite their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God."
- 1Ti 5:5 "Now she that is a widow indeed, and desolate, trusteth in God, and continueth in supplications and prayers night and day."
1Ti 5:9 "Let not a widow be taken into the number under threescore years old, having been the wife of one man,"
- Ps 68:5 "A father of the fatherless, and a judge of the widows, is God in his holy habitation."
- Isa 10:2 "To turn aside the needy from judgment, and to take away the right from the poor of my people, that widows may be their prey, and that they may rob the fatherless!"
- Mt 23:14 "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation."
- Lu 20:47 "Which devour widows' houses, and for a shew make long prayers: the same shall receive greater damnation."
- Ac 6:1 "And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration."
- Ac 9:39 "Then Peter arose and went with them. When he was come, they brought him into the upper chamber: and all the widows stood by him weeping, and shewing the coats and garments which Dorcas made, while she was with them."
- Ac 9:41 "And he gave her his hand, and lifted her up, and when he had called the saints and widows, presented her alive."
- 1Co 7:8 "I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I."
- 1Ti 5:3 "Honour widows that are widows indeed."
- 1Ti 5:11 "But the younger widows refuse: for when they have begun to wax wanton against Christ, they will marry;"
- 1Ti 5:16 "If any man or woman that believeth have widows, let them relieve them, and let not the church be charged; that it may relieve them that are widows indeed."
- Jas 1:27 "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."
God will bless the People and the Church that takes proper care of the widows who are widows indeed, and will curse those who take advantage of them.
May God bless you and keep you who have suffered the lose of a spouse..