Jan 29, 2017
I see thy tears
Jan 29, 2017
Some regrets that will die with us or go with us into eternity
Dr. Charles E. Wright preaching “Some Things For Which There is No Substitute” September 4, 2011.
It was our great blessing to have Dr. Wright with us again this year to celebrate our 25 anniversary in ministry here at Faith Independent Baptist Church. We have been praying diligently that God would allow Bro. Wright to come again. At 83 years old and with Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, neuropathy, and other related issues, it was a miracle that he was able to return for the 25th year straight and for a total of 29 years of my ministry. God has used Bro. Wright all these years and his ministry has touched many thousands of people not only in my Church and others, but in his 22 year ministry at Peoples Baptist Church in the South Atlanta area. (Now located in McDonough GA.)
In the Sunday morning service, he preached “Some Things For Which There Are No Substitutes.” Although you can listen to the full message on holybiblesays.org, I want to give the highlights here for those who prefer not to listen online. I will give only the highlights and points.
Turn to John chapter 14. You and I are living in an age of substitutes. We’ve got substitutes of about everything…substitute foods, substitute butter, substitute orange juice that looks like orange juice and tastes like orange but is not orange juice. If something happens to the President, we have a substitute. God forbid, but that is the way it is.
So, I’m saying, with all the substitutes in the world today, I just want to call your attention to some things for which there is no substitute. The words of John 14:1-11 fell from the lips of the Son of God. Jesus said “Let not your heart be troubled.” (He preached here a while on the troubled world in which we live).
1. Let me say first of all, “There is no substitute for God.” God is real. God created the Heavens and the Earth. He created you and me and put the breath of life in our bodies. It is in Him that we live and move and have our being. The book of Isaiah chapter 46 tells us, “I am the LORD and there is none else.” He is the true and living God. There is no God but the LORD God Almighty and we need to see that. “But Bro. Wright. What about Allah?” (He answers) He is a false god. Now God has called me to preach the truth with this blessed Book opened before me, and I think everyone needs to understand that there is no substitute for God.
(He gives here several references to God’s sovereignty over nature and the life of man.) We need to recognize God for who He is. He is the LORD God Almighty. He is holy. He is righteous. He is just and true. He is pure. He is merciful. He is good and kind. He is gracious. He is Almighty. He is omnipotent (all powerful). He is sovereign. That word means self-governing. Nobody tells God what to do.
2. Secondly, There is absolutely no substitute for the Lord Jesus Christ. There is no way that anybody that has lived up to this moment, or will still be living when Jesus comes back…there is nobody that will go to Heaven unless they go through and by the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus is not a way to Heaven. He said “I am the way.” The only way anybody can know God is to know Him through the Lord Jesus Christ. The only way anybody can reach God is through the Lord Jesus Christ. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!
3. Thirdly, There is no substitute for the Blessed Holy Spirit of God. When you got saved, when you were Born Again, you were saved through the Lord Jesus Christ. The Blessed Holy Spirit came into your heart and life at the moment of the New Birth. (Here he gave a number of things that resulted from Salvation in regard to the Holy Spirit.) We hear the Word of God, but He (The Spirit) is the one who enlightens us. He is the one who teaches us. He is the one who opens our understanding to this blessed Word of God. You take Him with you wherever you go. Let me say this. You can’t get rid of Him. If you are saved, He is living in your heart right this moment. ( He gave a number of verses about how we can grieve or quench the Holy Spirit and spoke about how glad he is that when the Holy Ghost spoke to his heart, he got saved. He stated he has never gotten over it and if you have, it is not real.) You did not get saved until you realized you were lost.
4. Fourthly, what I am about to tell you, very few religious people in the world believe, but I say without apology, there is no substitute for the 1611 King James Bible. Not too many people want to say Amen to that. I tell people if I am crazy, don’t fool with me. I am happy. I can’t walk good but I’m happy. I’m saved God bless you and I believe this blessed Old Book. It has never let me down one time. (Here he quotes several Scriptures.) I don’t believe God has 10 or 15 or 20 or 25 different Bibles. He has one that is the inspired, inerrant, plenary, infallible Word of Almighty God. I stake my life on the truth of this blessed Book. Without this Book, I don’t have a ministry. Without this Book I don’t have anything to preach. I am not an entertainer. I’m a preacher. I’m and old-fashioned, fundamental, King James, Bible-believing, Independent Baptist Preacher. (All this with strong emphasis). I make no apology for that folks. I’m not ashamed of who I am. There’s no substitute folks, nowhere. “Bro. Wright, you mean every word?”, “No mistakes?”, “Not one contradiction?” Not one! I’m standing on safe ground. If we don’t believe this, (holding up the Bible) we don’t believe Him.
5. Fifth, There is no Substitute for Prayer. I believe with all my heart that the reason I am standing behind this blessed sacred desk is prayer. This morning already, I have had people one after another come up to me and say, “Bro. Wright. I just want to tell you that I pray for you every day.” OH MY HEART AND SOUL. THAT BLESSED ME. FOLKS, IT IS REAL! (He gave several examples of answered prayer.)
6. There is no substitute for the Local New Testament Church. There is no television program that is a substitute for the local New Testament Church. No civic club or lodge on earth is a substitute for the Local New Testament Church, which was instituted by the Lord Jesus Christ Himself. A local New Testament Church is a body of Born Again, baptized believers who are banded together for the purpose of carrying out the Great Commission. God intends for every Born Again Christian to be a part of and member of the local Church.
7. There is no substitute for Heaven. It’s real. No pain, sickness, cancer, sadness, sorrow. I’m so glad I’m going there. No utopia on this earth. We (the saved) will spend eternity in Heaven.
8. There is no substitute for Hell. It is real, a reality. The worst thing that ever happened for any human being is to die lost and go to Hell, where the fire is not quenched. (quoted Scripture here) It is not a four letter word. I’m not going there, not because of what I did, but what Jesus did. He shed His blood for my sins. He died in my place and God raised Him up for my justification and glory to God He is coming back Hallelujah. If you died today, are you 100% sure you’re going to Heaven? If you are not saved, God will save you right now. Heaven bound! Don’t procrastinate. God said “Today.” “Now.”
Invitation as always was given here and many came to the altar.
What a great day we had and were blessed again to hear this great man of God.