One of the greatest treasures in life is the treasure of true friends. There is not a person alive that does not, or has not needed a friend. I must say at this point that no married person should have a friend better and closer than that of wife or husband. It is unnatural and unhealthy for a married person to violate this principle. “they two shall be one flesh.”
God ordained friendship. The word “friend” ranges in meaning from comrade, neighbor, lover, brother, clansman and associate. Prov. 18:24 states, “A man that hath friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.”
Of course, the “Friend that sticketh closer than a brother” is Jesus Christ. I must say that while He is the Friend of Sinners, He must be your personal Saviour in order to be your “Friend that sticketh closer than a brother.” If you are not saved through faith in His death, burial and resurrection for your sin, He can be your friend that will save you, but if you die without Christ as Lord and Saviour, He will be your Judge.
Now, I want to share some things that true Christian friends have in common:
- True friends share wounds. Job 6:14; 1Cor. 12:26 and Romans 12:15
- True friends share worship. Heb. 10:25 ; Psalm 55:12-14
- True friends share wealth. 1 John 3:16-24
- True friends share words. Prov. 27:9; Prov. 25:11
- True friends share witness. Prov. 27:27 A true friend will have a positive, sharpening and shaping effect on us.
- True friends share work together. John 15:7-17 Only God knows the true and lasting friendships that were developed serving the Lord together in the harvest.
- And the friend of friends, Jesus Christ shared the way to Heaven. John 15:13
It is my prayer that you know that you are not friendless and it is not hopeless. Jesus is ready to be your “Friend that sticketh closer than a brother.”
It is also my prayer that many of my readers not only have friends, but be a true friend to others.