Standing in your place
Apr 16, 2017
The Resurrection was required for eternal life
Apr 16, 2017
The greatest victory in life is the victory over self
(Preached at Faith 7-15-09)
The book of Exodus gives the thrilling story of the deliverance of the people of God from Egypt. God commissioned Moses to deliver them and also told him in 3:19 that He was sure that Pharoah would not let them go even with a mighty hand. On several occasions, Moses was sent to tell the king to “Let My People go.” The king’s heart was hardened over and over. God began to bring plagues on Egypt…frogs, lice, flies, sickness and death to all the Egyptian animals, hail and lightning and finally, the death of all the firstborn of everything. Pharoah agrees to let them go, but then pursues them even into the divided Red Sea. He has seen all these miracles and even goes into the divided sea after the Hebrews. He and all his army are destroyed…not one of them survived.
It is a dangerous thing to resist the work of God in our lives. There are people who just will not give in easily and for some it takes drastic measures. If we are saved, know this: God will do whatever it takes to get us right.
1. First of all, God will use talking. That comes by the Word of God applied by the Holy Spirit of God. 2 Kings 20:1-5 tells of God sending Isaiah to Hezekiah to tell him he is going to die… “set your house in order.” Hezekiah prays, confesses, and cries shedding tears. God saw the tears and added 15 years to his life. Had he not listened to the prophet, he would have died.
2. Sometimes God sends trouble. In 2 Sam. 12:10 God told David through the Prophet Nathan that “the sword shall never depart from thine house.” I have seen this happen. I have seen people who are saved get out of sorts with the Lord and unusual things begin to happen to trouble them to get it right.
3. Sometimes God sends trembling, fear. Read Dan. 5:1-6,24-30 ; Acts 16:29, Acts 24:25 Sometimes God puts a spirit of fear on people to bring them around.
4. Sometimes God takes things away! The prodigal son had to lose everything to get back to the father, but it worked. Sometimes, God’s people allow other things to get them out of His will and many times God will take or touch those very things in order to bring His People back. After all these years, I have seen this so many times…preaching will not move them, trouble will not move them, trembling will not move them and God begins to take things away. Sometimes that works, however, not always… and then God may…
5. Take the person out! Read the story of Achan in Joshua 7 and Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5:1-11. Also read 1 John 5:16-17 and 1 Cor. 5: 1-13 If all else fails, God may take the person out.
These are some of the basic things it takes to get some people right. It is best to respond to God speaking to our hearts. Is the Lord speaking to your heart? Are you listening? What will it take to get you right?