Standing in your place
Apr 16, 2017
The Resurrection was required for eternal life
Apr 16, 2017
The greatest victory in life is the victory over self
First, let me say, I remember my reaction some 20 years ago when our children were told by our friend's children that Santa did not exist. I was a young Christian at the time and had not been confronted with the facts. My wife and I felt violated because we felt we should have been the ones to reveal the truth to them. The truth is, we should not have lied to them in the first place and we were faced with that shocking truth. How could we teach them to be honest and be dishonest with them? Before you jump to any conclusions. let me say that we did not spoil all their fun. We still bought gifts and enjoyed the season. The difference has been in Who we honor and focus upon during this time.
The myth of Santa Claus seems innocent on the surface, however from a Biblical point of view, he has evolved into the "God Man Made."
Exodus 20:3 states, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."
Let me explain why Santa is a Man-made God:
- He is holy.
- He is sovereign.
- He is Eternal.
- He is unchangeable.
- He is Omniscient.
- He is Just.
- He is Omnipresent, everywhere.
- He is omnipotent, can do anything.
- He is righteous, can do no wrong.
- He rewards good and bad.
As you can plainly see, he has all the attributes of God!
Now let me explain why it is Spiritually harmful to children to promote the Santa myth:
- You have to lie to them telling them Santa gave the gifts. The Bible says in James 1:17, "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." They need to know that God in heaven is the giver of all good things!
- It distorts their view of the attributes of God and actually humanizes God while deifying Santa, bringing him down to man's level.
- It destroys their faith in your word, for when they learn Santa was a lie, they may also believe the Jesus you speak of may be a lie. Santa for kids and Jesus for grownups. It is fun now but it will be folly later! Colossians 3:9-10 says, "Lie not one to another seeing that ye have put off the old man (sin nature) with his deeds." Friend, if you are saved, you should not lie to your children about anything, including Santa Claus.
- Finally, at Christmas, we should worship the God who made man, not the man-made god. May He who alone is the light of the world be worshipped and adored this year!