I take the thought from 2 Chronicles 20:15 where Jahaziel prophesies after the Spirit of God comes upon him. "Thus saith the LORD unto you, Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours but God's". Then in verse 17, "Ye shall not need to fight in this battle: set yourselves, stand ye still, and see the salvation of the LORD."Judah is about to be invaded by Moab and Ammon. Word gets to King Jehoshaphat and he "feared, and set himself to seek the LORD, and proclaimed a fast throughout all Judah." The people gather together to ask help of the LORD. The King stands in the congregation...in the house of the LORD and begins to pray. Please read vs.6-13. The King makes some confessions, admits some conditions, and draws some conclusions. In v12 he gives the conclusions:
- God will judge the enemy.
- We have no might against them.
- We don't know what to do.
- Finally, "Our eyes are upon thee."
IF Jehoshaphat had tried to fight this battle, he would have lost it. God told him, "for the battle is not yours but God's". May I tell you, friend, there are some battles that are not ours to fight which we can never win.
- We can never win the battle against the condemnation of sin. Man is born in sin and according to Rom. 6:23, "the wages of sin is death." We cannot pay that debt. We can't win that battle with good works, baptism, church membership, or keeping the ten commandments! Rom. 5:8 tells us, "But God commendeth His love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." The battle against sin could only be won by the sinless Son of God, Jesus Christ. See 1 Peter 1:18-25;
- We can never win the battle against conflict of Satan. Eph. 6:10-18 teaches us that we are not to stand against him in the armour of flesh. If you are saved and you refuse to live a dedicated Spirit filled life, you will lose the battle with Satan. He will devour you. See 1 Peter 5:7-9.
- We can never win the battle in conflict with saint or sinner. Rom. 12:9-21; Eph 4:25-32; Gal. 5:13-15; and James 3:13-18. Eph. 6:12 tells us, "for we wrestle not against flesh and blood..."
Satan always wins when saints and sinners fight! Are you losing some battles because they are not yours to fight? Why not turn them over to the LORD?