Ecclesiastes 9:1-18 should be read but notice V.4 "A living dog is better than a dead lion." That is a strange statement and it is contained in a chapter dealing with the subject of life. The point is this: While you have life, live!
At least a living dog can bark. A lion is much more powerful, cunning and swift than a dog while he is living. The point is this: No matter what your abilities before death, they become completely useless after death. Use your life while you have it. If you are a Christian, you ought to dedicate your life to the Lord while you are living and use your life for His Glory while you have it. Let me give you some thoughts concerning your value in this life:
- God controls your life. V1 See also Psalm 27:23.
- Anyone can be someone. V2 "ALL things come alike to all."
- Your life has potential as long as you live, but see V3-6.
- The time will come when you, like the dead lion, can do nothing. VS-6.
- Do what you do with joy and contentment. V7 Also see 1 Tim. 6:6-8.
- While you can, live a clean, Holy Spirit filled life. V8 See 2 Tim.2:20.
- Develop and nurture your home. V9 See also Eph 5; Prov. 5:18.
- Find something right to do-and do itl V10 See also 1 Cor. 10:31
- The only limitation of your possibilities is you. V11.
"Race is not to the swift." So you are not fast enough?
"Nor the battle to the strong." So, you are not strong enough?
"Neither yet bread to the wise." So, you are not wise enough?
"Nor yet riches to men of understanding." So, you are not rich enough?
"Nor yet favour to men of skill." So, you are not skillful enough?
"But time and chance happeneth to them all."
"Only one life, t'will soon be past. Only what is done for Christ will last."
Jim Elliot said before being murdered by the Aucas, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
You may not think yourself much, but you are what you are by the Grace of God, and you can be all He wants you to be if you will submit your will to Him.
Moses had a stammering tongue and there was none greater in the Old Testament than he. Paul had contemptible speech and yet there was none greater in the New Testament than he. Use what you have while you have it!
A LIVING DOG IS BETTER THAN A DEAD LION. BE WHAT YOU CAN WHILE YOU CAN.