I am of the opinion that the greatest failure in families in America is "The failure of fatherhood." It is evident that "The laws of our land will never correct the ills of our society." It is evident as well that America must be changed one heart and one home at a time, and that will start in the home. This is something lawyers, politicians, teachers and even preachers cannot accomplish. I believe a true revival in America is impossible apart from a "Revival of Biblical fatherhood." Eph. 6:4 states, "And ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." 2 Tim. 3:1-5 gives a list of last day symptoms of the failures of fatherhood, and the window of opportunity is closing very fast. With that in mind, I urge fathers to take the time and make an effort to stem the tide in your home. There are some things a Godly father should teach his family.
- Teach them the freeness of Salvation. Eph. 2:8-9; Rom. 5:8
- Teach them the fullness of the Spirit. Eph. 5:18. Fathers, we cannot expect our children to know what it is like to "Walk in the Spirit" if they do not see us "Living in the Spirit." Gal.5:16 , 25
- Teach them the futility of running from God. Heb.4:12-13 Teach them of Adam and Eve, David, Cain, Achan and Saul.
- Teach them the favour of the Lord when we live for the Lord. 1Ki.2:1-4 and Eph. 6:1-3 Teach them how God blesses obedience.
- Teach them the fight with Satan which must be won. Eph.6:10-18 They need to know early that there is an enemy and how to win the war with him according to the Word of God. Matt.17:14-18 You should know enough about the occult, witchcraft, new age, and related subjects to prepare your children to avoid these traps.
- Teach them the foolishness and folly of wasting their life one day at a time , living with the regret of this loss. Prov. 19:13, 20:20 and 23:22-25
- If you do not teach them these things, you may have live with the fruit of your failure and reap the regret of it the rest of your life.
May God bless you in your effort to "Bring them up."
Happy Father's Day!