Jan 29, 2017
I see thy tears
Jan 29, 2017
Some regrets that will die with us or go with us into eternity
I wanted to write this article in advance of Father’s Day. Proverbs 17:6 states, "Children’s children are the crown of old men; and the glory of children are their fathers." One of the greatest attacks of the devil is in the area of father/children relationships and father/children responsibility. Notice, "and the glory of children are their fathers." My father was a drunkard and an embarrassment to the whole family. His name was synonymous with his reputation. I thank God he got saved at the age of 71 and I preached his funeral two years later. Most of my memories of him are impressed indelibly with his drunkenness. I wish I could say "My father was my glory." It could have been and should have been, but it wasn't. Here are some things that make a father the glory of his children.
- They watch him live by faith consistently. 1 Cor. 15:58; Heb. 10:38-39
- They watch him serve by grace persistently. Heb. 10:24-25
- They watch him treating his wife lovingly. Eph. 5:25,28-29; 1 Pet.3:7
- They watch him conduct his affairs honestly. 2 Cor.8:21; Rom. 13:13
- They watch him worship God fervently, in prayer, dedication and devotion. John 4:23-24
- They watch him resist temptation faithfully. 1 Pet.5:8-9; Ja. 4:7
- They watch him help others graciously. Gal. 6:10; 1 Tim. 6:17-19
- They watch him deal with them firmly. Prov. 13:24
- They watch him love the LORD supremely. John 14:21-24
Fathers, we become the glory of our children when we give them a Godly example to imitate. Prov.23:24, "The father of the righteous shall greatly rejoice: and he that begetteth a wise child shall have joy of him."
Stephen preached a great message in Acts 7 just before he was stoned, and part of his indictment was this statement in verse 51, "Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did so do ye." Dads, If you do not want your children to follow in your steps, now is the time to make the corrections. Do not wait until it is too late!